With another busy boating season ahead, here are ten boating tips to consider. We want to ensure that everyone has a good day out on the water because no one plans for the unexpected to happen.
Here are ten boating tips to consider before leaving the dock:
1. Have a checklist. Before leaving the dock, have a pre-departure checklist to review all critical systems (i.e.: engine check, battery levels, fuel levels, etc.).
2. Don’t solely rely on the fuel gauge. Boaters should keep a fuel log so they know how much fuel their boat uses, when they last filled up, how many hours the boat has run, and how much fuel is left.
3. Follow the rule of thirds. Be sure to have enough fuel to allow for: 1/3 of fuel to head to the destination, 1/3 of fuel to head back to the dock and 1/3 of fuel “just in case.”
4. Check the charts. Review the intended voyage plan and be aware of sandbars, shallow areas, channel and buoy locations, etc. so you don’t run aground, and there are no surprises.
5. Carry extra lines and fenders. Both are needed when rafting up with friends or when tying up at a waterfront restaurant.
6. Safety first. Captains should inform passengers of their boat safety rules such as where life jackets are located and that they must remain seated while the boat is underway. This helps to avoid distracting the captain during the voyage.
7. Keep two anchors aboard. You never know when one might get away, so always have a spare and make sure it’s the appropriate size for the boat and where the hook will be dropped.
8. When in doubt, slow down or stop. Trying to figure things out while underway can often lead to hitting something or running aground.
9. Be courteous. Boaters should always watch their wake and wave when fellow boaters pass by. It’s one big community on the water, so be a good neighbor and be friendly!
10. Always have a backup plan. No one ever plans on needing help on the water. Having an on-water assistance membership with Sea Tow is guaranteed peace of mind that if anything happens out on the water, someone is standing by to come help.
Unmatched Member Benefits
Sea Tow has been the premier leader in on-water boating assistance since 1983. With Sea Tow, you pay one annual rate and receive the most comprehensive member benefits available. Membership includes a full suite of on-water assistance services for every boat you own or rent. Learn more about our membership options today. To find the Sea Tow closest to you, use our service locator or call our Customer Care Team at 800-4-SEATOW.