When hurricane season hits, it’s imperative to start thinking of how to prepare for a storm. Sea Tow is offering up tips for boaters before, during, and after a hurricane.
Before a Storm
- Check your marine insurance and marina policies carefully for storm information. Boat owners should speak with their insurance agent and marina contact to understand all procedures and requirements during a storm situation.
- Document inventory of all property onboard and be sure to take videos AND photographs. Place legal documents such as policies, licenses, and registration in a secure, dry place away from the vessel.
- Learn the difference between a hurricane watch and hurricane warning and the area’s evacuation rules and instructions.
- Be knowledgeable of the storm surge history and the area’s elevation.
- When a storm is impending, consider where the boat will ride out the storm. Boaters who will relocate their vessel should make a plan ahead of time. Insurance companies may require owners to haul out the boat or store in a specific location. Be sure to check the policy.
- Move boats on trailers close to a house, weigh them down and lash securely to anchor the trailer.
- If the boat must stay in the water, secure it to the dock with longer, thicker lines and use lines that are protected against chafing so that they will hold up to the swinging and swaying that is often caused by storms.
During a Storm
- Frequently monitor radio, TV, NOAA Weather Radio, and/or hurricane hotline telephone numbers for official bulletins of the storm’s progress.
- Once the boat is secured, leave it, and don’t return until there is an official announcement that the storm has passed.
After a Storm
- Inspect the boat carefully before re-entry into the water. Look for any structural damage outside or damage to the lashings or riggings placed pre-storm.
- If the boat is affected by the storm, know that Sea Tow is available to assist with the recovery process. Contact your local captain or call our 24/7 Customer Care Team to help with the salvage and recovery process.
Sea Tow has the experience and knowledge to safely recover your property. Make sure you only work with licensed and insured companies that do this type of work every day. To learn more about Sea Tow’s catastrophe response capabilities, click here.